Sunday 7 April 2013

Putting the Why in Human Resources

A very good friend and mentor of mine gave me the book "Start with Why by Simon Sinek - a good read.  It made me really look at my business and why I do what I do.  Anyone who has worked with me knows that I am about simplifying people processes not complicating them.  My Why is about the people in your business.  There are some HR practitioners that truly believe you need a rock solid process with 100 steps for each aspect of HR Management and there is a place for that.  Certain certifications that companies obtain require certain HR procedures in place and I understand that need. But, I still believe that it is not that easy or fun to process people.  Everyone needs a baseline of how a business operates relating to its people but I think we need to remember we are dealing with human beings who all have a different story and different needs. Company culture is created by allowing people their freedom to be who they are while still performing within the framework of their job and being productive for their company.  My Why is working with companies to allow them to foster the individuality amongst its employees and create a culture of productivity, individuality and mutual respect.  That is what makes what I do fun and rewarding, and why small  and mid-size businesses add me to their team. I suggest giving this book a read and really thinking about your Why...

No comments:

Post a Comment